Sunday, February 7, 2010

Detours, Chapter 6

Bella
                As I stumbled to the door, I glanced in the mirror, noting that I had that freshly fucked look to my face, even though I hadn’t been. And now we’ll never know if I would have been.  Good lord, Edward knew how to get a girl hot and bothered!  I peeked through the front door and saw a flash of spiky black hair.
                “Alice!  Hi!” I said as I opened the door.  If she was able to discern that, sixty seconds ago, I had her brother’s hand on my girly parts, she wasn’t letting on.  And that really is a good thing, because I can’t lie for shit. 
                “Hi, Bella!  I was on my way to Edward’s and saw his car here.  I haven’t seen him in forever, and I just wanted to touch base with him,” Alice said as I opened the old screen door for her to come in.  “How’s the house?  Are you getting settled?”
                “Yes, things are great.  Edward is back in the family room playing the Wii.  Can I get you anything? Something to drink?”  It was at that moment that she and I both saw the abandoned wine classes and the half empty bottle of wine on the counter.  Shit!  With all of the fooling around, Edward and I never got around to eating. 
                “No, I’m fine!  Jazz and I just had a late dinner with some clients of his,” she commented as we rounded the corner into the room where Edward was looking much disheveled, not to mention totally hot.
                “Hey, sis.  What brings you by?” Edward said, sounding every bit as awkward as I felt.
                “Well, I see that you guys finally met at work, then!  I was singing your praises the other night when we were helping Bella get her things from her truck,” Alice said, looking with a scrutinizing eye at Dr. Rumpled.  We were so caught.
                “Umm, yeah.  Bella and I met yesterday at work.  We had a kind of crazy day today, so we thought we’d have some dinner and hang out a little while.  I’m trying to not suck at Mario Kart,” Edward said with a laugh, gesturing to the steering wheel in his hands, and trying not to draw attention to the strategically placed pillow over his wood.
                “Oh, that’s great!  It’s cool that you guys hit it off!   I knew you would!” Alice sing-songed with bright eyes and a million dollar smile. 
                Shooting his twin a dirty look, Edward grumbled under his breath, “Alice…”
                Trying to deflect, I turned to the petite boutique proprietor.  “Are you and Jasper still in for dinner on Friday night?  I really hope that you will be able to make it!”
                “We wouldn’t miss it!  Can we bring anything?” Alice asked brightly.  I just smiled and shook my head. 
                “No, think I should be OK, unless you’d like to bring some wine.  Edward has already offered to bring some, as well, and I haven’t had a chance to do any big shopping for food since I moved in. I was hoping to do that tomorrow after Emmett brings the new washer and dryer by for me.”
                Alice’s eyes went to her brother and she gave him a smirk.  “You’ll be joining us too, Dr. Cullen?” she asked with a bit too much curiosity in her voice. 
                “Bella offered to save me the embarrassment of spending my Friday evening alone,” Edward said, his green eyes briefly giving me a glance as he mockingly grimaced at the thought of such a social faux pas.
                Inwardly, I laughed at the little dance Alice was performing.  You could see the adoration she had for her brother plain as day.  She just wanted him to be happy, and wasn’t ashamed of the fact that she was trying to get him on his way to a happily ever after.
                “Well, dear brother, I come with a message from our mother.  She is hoping for your presence at brunch on Sunday.  We’ll all be there.  Bella, you should come, too!  Mom would love to meet you, I’m sure. Dad even has the morning off since he’s taking the night shift for James.”
                “Jeebus, Alice, you know more about the staffing situation there than Glenda, I think,” I said with a laugh.  “I switched with Angela, so I guess I’ll be hanging out with Dr. Cullen the Elder.  Hopefully I won’t be too tired.  I’d love to stop by.”
                I caught a look that passed between the siblings, Edward a roll of the eyes and a slight huff of breath, while Alice just beamed at him.
                “Bella, please don’t feel like you have to.  My sister and her, uh, enthusiasm sometimes gets the better of her.”
                “Nonsense, Edward.  It’s not all about you!  I was just hoping that Bella could join us so that we can get to know each other a little better.  And Mom is dying to meet Emmett’s new tenant,” Alice defended, then turned to me and said, “I’m quite sure she wants to hear about what you think of the efforts she put into your house.  She keeps detailed records with before and after photos, as well as any historical information she can dig up.  The woman is obsessive about it, really.  Please say you’ll be there!”
                In the end, I relented, and Alice left Edward and me on the front porch swing as she pulled away into the night toward her home not far away.  Who was I kidding?  This was Forks, and nothing was that far away. 
                The evening was warm, despite the later hour.  As we sat on the swing, gently rocking to and fro, I looked at my guest. His hair was deliciously out of control, and he sat back in the swing with his arm resting lightly across the back.  From time to time to time, he would brush his thumb against my shoulder.  Our silence was comfortable, each of us retreating into our own thoughts for a few minutes.  I leaned my head back against Edward’s shoulder and heard his stomach growl.  It was impossible not to giggle like a mad woman. 
                “You know, we never did get around to eating,” I said with a blush, “but I think it’s a little late to make a big meal.  Can I offer you some delicious cereal and orange juice?  Perhaps some toast and jam?” I reached for Edward’s hand, and felt content from the simple contact.
                “I am a little hungry.  Let’s go,” Edward said with a smile, standing and pulling me up with him.  He paused to wrap me in a quick hug and kissed my temple. I was both amazed and startled at how familiar and right it felt.  We walked through the screen door and it shut behind us with a quiet thud.
                Edward and I feasted on Fruity Pebbles, orange juice, and some fruit salad that we threw together.  We learned more about each other’s lives, sharing war stories from the ER, and after we finished eating, we sat in the TV room, me relaxing comfortably against him.  He was sitting on the couch with his back against the armrest, and his left leg stretched along the length of the cushions.  I settled between his legs, resting my back on his broad chest.  His fingers played absent-mindedly with a few strands of my hair. The urgency and flat-out horniness had dissipated, and we were simply enjoying each other’s company.  It was hard to remember the last time I had felt this content and peaceful.
                “So, with your siblings soon to be married, how is it that you are not altar-bound yourself, Cullen?  What kind of skeletons are rattling around in your closet?” I asked, half of me not wanting to know the answer.  Edward was, for lack of a better word, a dream. He was handsome, smart, funny, and had a promising career.  I was wondering why he was available.
                “It’s no secret.  Just haven’t found the right girl, I guess.  I had a girlfriend in med school, for about eight months or so.  We just figured that we would be better off as friends.  It was stressful enough getting through classes, and then residency.  A few dates here and there, but nothing of significance,” Edward said, looking off in the distance a bit.  Then he looked at me and gave a killer half smile.  “I guess the random hook-up thing doesn’t appeal to me.”
                Wait-what does that mean?? 
                Edward
                The look on Bella’s face was one of confusion and…relief?  I felt a bit awkward talking about my history, but I also knew that if I wanted to have a relationship with Bella, sharing about our pasts was a part of the deal.  I just wasn’t sure how she would react to the fact that I was pitifully inexperienced when it came to romance and sex.  And after the fan-fucking-tastic make out session we just had, I knew that eventually I wanted more. Hell, if Alice hadn’t knocked on the door, I’m pretty sure things would have progressed farther than what I, in retrospect, felt comfortable with.  Call me old fashioned, but I liked the idea of wooing a lady.  Building the layers of trust and understanding and getting to know Bella was as important to me as getting into her silk panties.  I loved her sense of humor, was intrigued by her selection on her iPod and found it fascinating that we shared some of the same passions for our careers. There was a sadness and a hesitancy that tainted her smile sometimes. What caused it?  Increasingly, over the past couple of days, I wanted to remove that sadness.  I wanted to erase it from her forever.
                “You look confused, Bella,” I said to her with a smile.
                “Do I?” she stammered a bit.
                “Were you hoping that I was a random kind of guy?” I teased.
                “Umm, no.  It’s just been a while since I have been honest with my feelings, that’s all.  It’s all been a whirlwind for me, these past few days.  I’m having such a great time with you, Edward.  More fun than I really have allowed myself to have in years.    And for the record, I’m not a random type of girl, either.   I have had two partners in my life, the last of which was over two years ago.”
                I smiled and kissed her temple.  “I’m glad to hear that, Bella.  Wait, shit.  I mean - ”
Bella giggled and squeezed my hand. “I know what you meant, Edward.  You’re glad I’m not parading my lady parts all over the place, just like I’m glad you’re not a total man whore.”
It was my turn to laugh.  “No, I don’t think that one girlfriend and having sex twice constitutes whorishness!  Tanya and I were friends going through med school.  In our third year, we thought that there might be something there.  We dated for a while.  After we had sex a few times, we both just felt awkward.  It was like getting busy with your cousin, I guess.  Anyway, we’re still friends.  She’s up in Alaska, practicing as a GP and loving it.  She still makes house calls and everything.  She’s really made me proud.”
“Jake was my first.  He’s going to propose to his girlfriend next weekend.  My other boyfriend was Mike.  He left me feeling so vulnerable, which is part of the reason I have kept traveling.  If you don’t get close, you can’t get hurt, you know?”
I wasn’t sure what I should say.  I wanted to tell her that I wouldn’t hurt her, that she had already secured a place in my heart.  There was something about her that had overlapped our souls, and that from now on, I didn’t think it was possible for me to go without her.  But, to feel like that after only a few days was absurd, wasn’t it?  I sighed, and tried to give her an answer that wouldn’t weird her out too much.
“I can see how you might feel the need to keep going, Bella.  Work is easy.  Medicine is like a recipe, isn’t it?  If you want a certain outcome, you perform a certain action.  Cast a broken leg.  Suture a cut.  Take out an appendix.  But love is tricky.  There is no set formula.  It involves trust and a lot of blindness at times.  I’m sorry that Mike hurt you.  I hope you can see that I’m not like him.  And I’m also not just trying to scratch an itch here,” I said, resting my hand on her cheek, turning her so that I could see her beautiful brown eyes.  “Honestly, kissing you before was better than I could have imagined.  If it would make you feel more comfortable, we can slow things down.  Maybe I can take you on a proper date?  Show you around Forks in style?”
Bella smiled.  “I’d love to go on a proper date with you, Dr. Cullen.  And for the record?  I don’t think I would have regretted anything that happened had Alice not knocked on the door, but slowing down is fine.”  She smiled and punctuated her statement with a sweet kiss and leaned back against me. 
We spent the next few hours (yes, hours) talking about everything.  We talked about Janie and Anneliese, and what the immediate future held for them.  Janie was refusing to let her parents get involved, since they threw her out in the first place.  The social worker, Jessica, was doing her best to find a foster home for them if returning Janie home wasn’t an option.  Health-wise, mother and baby were doing quite well.  Jessica said that even though Janie is young, her instincts as a mother are spot on.  There is no doubt in her mind that Janie will be a good mom.  The rest of the details are the concern. 
Our conversation turned to our families and our childhoods.  I learned about Jake and couldn’t help but feel a little jealous.  Bella was quick to put any fears I had to rest, though.  It was clear that the love they shared was one of deep friendship, nothing more.  We shared so many stories, with one flowing into the next.  It truly was effortless.  It was only when Bella stifled a yawn that I noticed that it was nearly 1AM, and I had to be at work in six hours. 
“Oh, Edward!  It is so late!  I’m sorry to keep you here, rambling on about everything!” Bella exclaimed, turning to face me and placing her hands on my shoulders.  “I’ll let you get going so that you can get some sleep, OK?”
“I wouldn’t have stayed if I didn’t like the company, Bella.”  I rested my hands on her tiny waist and placed my forehead on hers.  “I have had the most amazing time with you tonight, both before and after Alice showed up,” I said with a crooked smile.  Bella laughed and blushed.
“I am fairly certain she’s on to us.  Something tells me she is a bit like a dog with a bone, and she won’t give up until she has seen us go on at least three successful dates.”
“Probably more like five, if I know Alice.”
“Well, I would hate to disappoint, then.  At least I know I’ll get five dates with you, Dr. Cullen,” Bella said in a voice that made me think of all the ways I could doctor her.  I felt a stirring in my scrub pants and decided that was my cue to leave, or I never would.
“I’m hoping for many more than five, Bella,” I said softly and kissed her softly at first.  She lightly raked her nails up my neck to the back of my head, gently bringing our mouths together. I felt her tongue draw across my bottom lip and couldn’t suppress the moan that escaped my chest as I tasted her mouth again.  It felt like I needed supernatural strength to pull away from her, but I did it, reluctantly.
Bella let out a sigh and stood up, holding her hands out to me as if to pull me off the couch.  “Let’s get you home, Edward.  Maybe we can hang out tomorrow night after work.  I mean, that is if you don’t have any plans,” she added shyly.
I laughed at her sudden shyness.  “I’d love to hang out tomorrow night.” We were walking through the kitchen, where I picked up my keys and my phone.  I gave the phone to Bella and said, “Here, put your number in and I’ll call you tomorrow when it gets close to the end of my shift.”
After Bella programmed her number, we walked out onto the porch.  The air had cooled a little, and clouds had come in, obscuring the stars.  She seemed a bit nervous, so I reached out and pulled her into a hug, tucking head perfectly under my chin as if she had always belonged there
“Edward, I’m not gonna lie.  I had the most wonderful day at work today, only to be topped by an amazing evening with you.  Thanks,” Bella said as she wrapped her arms around my waist. 
“I had a great time, too. I will never be able to go into the supply room without having naughty thoughts,” I said with a chuckle and pressed a kiss into her hair.  “All kidding aside, you did an outstanding job with the delivery today.  I’d be happy to work beside you any time, Bella Swan.”
“Right back at you, Dr. Cullen,” she said with a genuine smile that I swear made my heart flutter and imagine all sorts of forever with her.  It is impossible to be falling this fast, isn’t it?  
“Call you tomorrow?” I asked, regretfully pulling away and descending down the first step, bringing us eye to eye.
“You better!” she said, leaning in, resting her forehead on mine. 
“Good night, then, Bella,” I said softly.  With one hand on her hip and the other gently cupping her cheek, I leaned in and kissed her.  It was a sweet kiss, one with promise. I felt her mouth curve into a smile as she pulled away.
“Good night, Edward,” she said, squeezing my arm. “Now get home so that you can at least get four hours of sleep before your alarm goes off!”
“Yes, ma’am,” I said with a mock salute and continued down the stairs to my car.  When I looked back at her after opening my door, she was leaning on the railing of the porch, her hoodie pulled tight.  You could tell she was a little chilly.  “Get inside and stay warm.”
“I will, I will,” was her reply as she turned and walked to the door.  I waved as she went inside, shut the door and blinked the porch light twice before turning them off.
It took all of a minute for me to arrive at my home and pull into the garage. It was only then I realized what a ridiculously long day I had had.  I walked my weary body up the stairs to my bedroom and stripped.  After putting on a pair of pajama pants and a t-shirt, I picked up my phone and scrolled to Bella’s number.  My finger hovered over the button that would connect us as I debated whether or not I should call.  I seriously didn’t want to suffocate her.  My need to hear her voice once more won out, and I pressed the send button.

“Hello, Edward,” Bella answered.  I think I heard a smile in her voice.
“Hi, Bella.  Sorry for calling, but I just wanted to tell you good night again.  I really had a wonderful day with you,” I said, hoping I didn’t sound too pathetic.  I wasn’t sure why I was channeling my inner ninth grader with my insecurities all of the sudden.
“I had a wonderful day, too.  Really. Both at work and afterwards.  And you can call me anytime, Edward.  I blinked the light for you to let you know I was locked up, safe and sound, in case you were wondering.  It’s an old habit from when I was young.”
“I like knowing you are safe.  Lots of unsavory people in the neighborhood, you know.”
Bella snickered.  “Yeah, that’s what I hear.”
I heard her yawn.  “I’ll let you go, beautiful.  I just wanted to hear your voice one more time before turning in.  I’ll call or text you tomorrow, OK?” 
“You’re sweet, you know that?  I’m glad you called.  I’ll look forward to hearing from you tomorrow.”
 She thinks I’m sweet!
“Sure thing.  Sweet dreams, Bella,” I said, knowing my own would be filled with her.
“I’m thinking they will be.  Good night, Edward,” Bella said softly, and she hung up. 
I leaned back on my bed and let out a huge sigh.  Is there such thing as love at first sight?  I felt so out of control, but in a good way.  It was amazing and frightening all at once.  Not holding her now was creating such an empty feeling.  Tomorrow evening couldn’t come too soon. 
I set my alarm for 6:30, I turned out the light and drifted to sleep, a smile on my face and Bella on the brain.

Bella
Thursday greeted me with grey clouds and mist.  Looking at my phone, I noted that it was already half-past seven and Edward was already at work.  Edward.  Sigh.  The man had skills, I don’t care how much experience he claimed he was lacking.   Part of me was glad that Alice interrupted us last night.  Don’t get me wrong, my exam by Dr. Cullen was magnificent, but there’s something to be said for taking things slow.  Looking at my phone again, I noticed that I had a text from Emmett.  He was going to be here around 8:30 with the washer and dryer.  Groaning, I rolled out of bed and headed to the sanctuary of my bathroom for a shower and some time to reflect. 
                By 8:10, I was enjoying my first cup of coffee and listening to the birds at my neighbor’s bird feeder.  After making sure that the laundry area was clear, I settled myself at the island with my laptop and began to catch up on emails.  The first one was from Nola, who wanted to know how my first day went.  Renee had written to thank me for the pictures and to tell me that she had lunch with Jake, who spilled the beans about his upcoming proposal to Leah.  A silly forward from Charlie about rednecks with a note attached saying that I might find some humor in the joke, seeing as though I had spent some time in the south on my adventures.    As I hit send on my last reply, I heard heavy footsteps on my porch.  The front door was open, and I heard Emmett’s deep voice through the screen door.
                “Good Morning, Bella!  I have a few things here that will make your life a bit easier!” my landlord called out to me.  I rounded the corner and saw him waiting patiently at the door.
                “Come on in, Emmett.  I was just poking around on the computer.  Can I get you some coffee?”
                “Coffee would be great.  I just need to be sure that we have a clear path to the laundry room, which I see we do.  I’ll be right back with the washer,” he said with a wink.  To the casual observer, one might not immediately notice the similarities between Emmett and Edward.  The wink, however was some kind of Cullen trademark, I guessed.  I had seen Carlisle, Edward, and now Emmett use the simple gesture, and it reminded me of how closely their eyes resembled each other.  Despite the fact that both Carlisle and Emmett had blue eyes, and Edward green, the way their eyes crinkled was remarkably similar. 
                I poured a cup for Emmett and a second for myself.  Walking to the front door, I saw Emmett using a dolly to bring the washer in its cardboard box up the stairs.  I opened the door for him and he wheeled the bulky appliance toward its final destination. 
                “Can I help with anything?  I’m not sure what I can do, but I can follow directions pretty well,” I said with a grin.  Emmett laughed.
“I heard that you were the one calling the shots yesterday,” he said.  For a split second I panicked, thinking back to how I pushed Edward into the couch and began to have my way with him last night.
                “I saw Vicki Shaw at the diner this morning,” Emmett clarified, “and she said that you delivered a baby before Edward could even make it into the room!  How cool is that?”
                I laughed out loud, more at my own thoughts than anything else.  “Yeah, it was pretty exciting.  I’ll never look at things the same way again.  I’ve seen people die, but to actually bring another life into this existence was beyond words.”
                “So, was my brother a decent guy to work with?  Say the word and I’ll clobber him,” Emmett said with his eyebrow raised.  He then began to remove the box from around the washer.  As I helped him, I peeked inside and saw a blue frontloading machine that was far better than what was in the last apartments I had occupied.
                “Oh, Edward was great.  He’s, uh, really great,” I said, feeling like my answer was as transparent as the plastic Emmett was removing from the machine.  I was so hoping that the blush I felt creeping across my cheeks wouldn’t be too noticeable.  Not a chance.
                “Well, that’s great!” he remarked with a laugh.  Quickly I left to get a garbage bag for all of the packing materials.   
                I returned with the bag and began to gather the bits of plastic and Styrofoam that littered the floor when Emmett began to speak again.
                “Edward’s always been kind of an intense person, really focused on his goal of becoming a doctor like Dad. Now that he has checked that off of his list, he needs to lighten up and live a little.  Don’t get me wrong, he’s not, like, a total goob or anything.  He just needs to get a life now that he’s come back home, ya know?”
                I laughed internally.  Edward certainly was no goob.  Far from it.  And it was sweet that Emmett felt the need to explain his brother.  “I know exactly where Edward is coming from.  I love what I do.  The traveling is the coolest job.  But I have this silly plan.  I have things I want to do before I settle down and make a permanent residence somewhere.  Maybe he’s just the same way?”
                “Yeah, I can see that.  What made you decide to travel?  If you don’t mind me asking,” Emmett asked as he slid the washer over to where the water supply came out of the wall. 
                “Oh, it wasn’t any one thing.  I was working in the ICU in Phoenix about a year and a half after I graduated from college, and a friend who worked for a travel nursing agency said that her company was looking for nurses.  I was young, no boyfriend to keep me there, and thought it would be fun to road trip for a while.  My company finds a place for me to work and to live, I get good benefits, and none of the hospital politics affect me.  It has served me well.  But after my next assignment in San Francisco, I plan to take a break and go back to school.  Haven’t thought much past that,” I said.  Mostly because part of me wasn’t even sure that after the past week I would even want to leave Forks when my time was up.  The town and a few of its inhabitants had bewitched me.  The absurdity of that thought, staying here after Thanksgiving, ricocheted through The Plan like a bullet.
                Emmett finished with hooking up the water and was working on the drain line.  He paused, as if in thought, and then spoke.  “So you are moving every three to six months.  That’s hard for me to imagine.  Even when I was in college, it seemed like I was home at least every two weeks or so.  But Rosie has always said I’m a momma’s boy!” Boyish dimples shined down at me.
                As if his smile was to disarm, there was no way to take offense at what he had said. “I have always been kind of independent.  It kills my mom that I’m that way. She would like nothing more to be called Grandma sometime in the next three years.  My being away has been a little hard for her, but my dad is great about it.  He tells my mom that I’m spreading my wings and all.   Just as long as I know my way back home, he says.”
                Finishing all of the connections, Emmett plugged in the machine and set it to wash.  “Do you have some towels or something that we can run through to make sure it works?” he asked.
                “Sure.  I’ll be right back with some,” I responded, and jogged up the stairs to my bathroom.  After grabbing a few towels, I stopped at the foot of my bed where my hoodie that I wore last night was laying.  On impulse, I picked it up and held it to my face, inhaling deep.  It still held the faintest scent of Edward, which put a silly smile on my face.  Spending time in Edward’s arms last night had been such a comfort for me.  It was as if my heart was allowing me that luxury again   I tossed the garment back on the bed and returned downstairs. 
                Emmett had brought the dryer into the laundry area while I retrieved the towels, and he had begun to hook up the vent.  In no time, the dryer was ready to go, and I threw the towels in the washer for the inaugural load.
                “Mind if I wait until the thing cycles through?  In case there’s a leak or something?” Emmett asked, sitting at the island, taking a sip of his now lukewarm coffee.
“No problem,” I said, taking his cup as he sat it down and refreshing it for him.  “I kind of got today off as a surprise, so I was just trying to decide what I needed to do.”
Emmett took another sip of the now warmer coffee and looked earnestly at the mug he held.  “This is handmade, isn’t it?  I can see the throw marks.  Where did you find these?  They’re really great.”
“I guess being an architect you would have an eye for detail! Actually, I made them.  I have a secret life as a potter,” I said with a smile.  “I began taking classes in college as a form of therapy to keep from stressing out too bad, and I have kept it up over the years.  I made these mugs when I was in Washington, DC.  There was a potter there who took me under his wing for a few months and taught me how to make different clay bodies and glazes.  It was a blast!  Some of the things I came up with were win,” motioning to our cups, “and some, not so much.  Jim, the potter, passed on some of his favorite recipes for clay bodies and glazes, and I, in turn, helped him when he was diagnosed with diabetes a few weeks after I met him.  It was hardly an even trade. He taught me so much.” Smiling, I went to my cabinet and pulled down a few of my favorite pieces.  One was a large serving bowl made from a light-colored clay, decorated with concentric circles of blue, orange, and brown. I placed a set of three platters on the island next to the bowl, and I remembered fondly Jim’s smile as he took them from the kiln. 
“Wow, Bella, these are fantastic!  I’ll have to get the name of an artist that my mom knows and works with from time to time.  She lives about halfway between here and Port Angeles, and she has a huge studio hidden away in the trees.  I’m sure that she’d love to have you come by if you’d like to throw some clay on the wheel. Ginger enjoys sharing her space.”
“Oh, that would be perfect, Emmett.  I haven’t made anything in almost a year. I am beginning to miss it!” I said, already thinking about what I might be able to create.
The washer chimed, and the two of us headed over to the machines.  Finding no leaks, Emmett placed the towels into the dryer and started it up.
“So, you have a close family then?” I asked.  “It seems that’s the case, since you work with your mom, and Edward followed in Carlisle’s footsteps.”  My mind had drifted to Edward, and I was interested in hearing anything about him, no matter how mundane.
“I guess you could say that.  I’m the oldest, and the twins came along when I was two.  We were always getting into trouble, most of it stirred up by Alice!  As we got older, our group grew.  In junior high, Rosie and her family moved to town.  She and I fought like cats and dogs!  Edward finally locked us in the basement one day and told us that he wasn’t letting us out until we either kissed or killed each other.  We have been together ever since,” Emmett said with a grin. 
“Oh, that’s hilarious!  What about Jasper?  How did he come to be a part of your motley crew?”
“That one is all Alice.  She was at the diner one day, and he came through the door.  She introduced herself and brought him home right then.  It’s like she knew where to be when he came into town.  He and his parents moved to Forks from Texas when were in eleventh grade.  He took over his dad’s law practice last year here in town, and his parents retired and moved back near Austin.”
I smiled at the thought of little Alice, walking up to Jasper and basically commandeering his life. “I bet he hardly knew what hit him!”
“My sister can be persuasive, let’s just leave it at that.  By the way, try not to let her bully you too much,” he cautioned, dimples blazing.
As if by magic, Emmett and I heard the distinctive sound of Alice’s giggle as she invited herself into the house.
“Emmett!  I am not a bully!  Look at me!  How on earth could you tell Bella such a thing!  I just know how things are supposed to be.  You can’t fault me for trying to keep everyone’s destinies in check!” Alice chirped as she sidled up to her huge big brother for one of his warm hugs.  He tilted his head and was about to kiss her spiky hair, but thought twice, as it would have been like kissing a coiffed cactus.
                  “You do have a pretty good track record, I do admit, but your methods can be grueling, kiddo,” Emmett groaned. 
                Alice continued to grin and turned her attention to me.  I became afraid.  Very afraid. 
                “Alice!  It’s been like, what? Twelve hours since I’ve seen you?” I laughed.  Emmett raised an eyebrow.
                “Why yes, it was about twelve hours ago when I left you in the company of my handsome, single twin brother,” the little person said in a tone of voice that raised Emmett’s suspicions.  Esme raised him well, however, and he mercifully kept his mouth shut.  His eyebrow was still raised as he leaned against the doorway, though.  I tried my best not to squirm. 
                I turned to Emmett, the blush creeping into my cheeks. “Edward and I were hanging out last night after work.  No big deal.  Turns out that that we have a lot in common.  We were talking a lot about work, and San Francisco, since he just returned from there and that’s my next stop.  I’m hoping to start grad school there next fall and…” I rambled.  Emmett cut me off with more dimples and a loud laugh.
                “You don’t have to explain yourself to me, Bella.  Really.  I learned a long time ago that it is what it is.  And with that, I’m outta here.  Call me if there are any problems with the machines, okay?” He turned to Alice and patted her shoulder. “Go easy on her, sis.”
                “Oh, we’ll be fine, Em.  See you tomorrow night about 6 o’clock, right?” I said, walking him to the door. 
                “Rosie and I will be here!  See you then!” Emmett called as he jumped into his Jeep and pulled away.
                “So, Bella,” Alice began, interrogation clearly on her mind, “talking about work?  Is that what the kids are calling it nowadays?”
                I choked on my coffee. Jeebus, subtle much?
                “What? Last night, you and Edward seemed pretty comfortable with each other.  And his sex hair had earned the moniker.  It was out of control.  Did he stay much after I left?”
                It was as if I was frozen with my thoughts going a million miles an hour.  Alice, the most persuasive pixie with her wide blue eyes and enchanting demeanor, was looking at me and I was powerless.  I could tell that she knew something was up between her brother and me.  And while I came to the realization that my skills of deception were seriously fail, I would not divulge all of my secrets.  A girl’s gotta hold something sacred, and the thrill of feeling Edward’s middle rubbing on my middle was for me alone.  For right now, at least.
                “Well, Alice, you see, it’s like this,” I began.  And then she began bouncing on her Prada-clad toes.
                “I knew it!!  I knew as soon as I met you that you and Edward would be perfect for each other!  Am I right?”
                “Edward and I spent some time together after work on Tuesday and yesterday.  He’s super easy to talk to, you know?”  Big breath.  Don’t give away too much, Bella.  “He rescued me from the Laundromat on Tuesday night when he let me do some laundry at his place.  Last night, we enjoyed each other’s company.  I will say there was a lot of flirtation involved on both evenings.”
                “Flirtation.  Really?  Okay, I won’t pry.  You’ll share when you’re ready.  That’s what friends do, and I am certain that we will be great friends, Bella.  I know these things,” Alice said, tapping her temple with her finger. 
                Alice was a trip.  I smiled at her and then looked at my watch.  It was almost 10 o’clock, and I had errands.  “Who’s minding the shop?” I asked.
                “Oh, Brandy, my lone employee, is opening for me.  I don’t have to be there until 12:30.  Are you busy for lunch?  I can call Rose and see if she can meet us, and we can help you figure out where you need to go in order to check off whatever you have on your to-do list.”
                “That could work.  I need to go to the grocery store.  And find a good place to find some wine.  And I was hoping to stop by your shop to check out the panties,” I began.  Now, here was the challenge.  Do I tell Alice about her panty-thieving brother?  I needed desperately to get back at Edward, and had no clue how.  Acknowledging that my revenge was more important than my pride at this point, I decided to open up, a little, to Edward’s twin sister. This could either be really good, or really bad.
                “You see, the other night when I did some wash at Edward’s, I accidentally got my unmentionables mixed in with the rest of the things I was washing.  Edward thought it would be fun to play keep away with a pair of panties.  So I went up to him and tucked the matching bra into his waistband and told him he won that round.  I can’t believe I’m telling you this, Alice! Anyway, he has the set now, which is why I need to stop by your shop.  I need something nice to wear with the dress I got the other day, because said surrendered undergarments matched perfectly, and I’m all about nice, silky things next to my skin,” I rambled, the whole time blushing as Alice’s smile grew bigger.
                “Well, I must say, I was afraid that my little brother didn’t have it in him!  Wait.  Do you want to go all Mission: Impossible on his ass?  I have a key to his place.  We can go over and recover the goods he stole and leave a pair of granny pants in their place!”  I had to hand it to her.  She was good.
                Without thinking, I said, “Sure.  Let’s go see where the good doctor has taken to keeping my undergarments hostage, shall we?”
                Alice squealed and clapped, then grabbed my hand.  “Get your bag, and we’ll go to lunch afterward.  This will be so much fun!!”
                Before I knew it, Alice had me tucked into her yellow Porsche and we were in Edward’s driveway half a minute later.  As we approached the front door, Alice went all ninja on me, darting up the stairs, hiding behind the column of the front porch, looking left, then right, as if looking for the enemy that could foil her attempt at stealthily acquiring her prize.  She produced a key on a little keychain that had a perfect replica of a Louboutin black boot with the signature red sole.  I was sure she had the matching size six version in her closet.  She unlocked the door and we were in. 
                The first thing I noticed was the lovely smell that greeted my senses.  It was Edward, and wood, and leather.  I committed it to memory as I inhaled deeply, almost unconsciously.  I was brought from my little olfactory wonderland by my new friend.
                “OK, Bella.  Enough sniffing my brother’s house,” she smiled slyly.  “You didn’t even know you were doing it, did you?  Oh, honey, you got it bad, and you have no clue, either.  That’s fine, because he has no idea how bad he has it, too.” Waving her hand in a dismissive fashion, as if telling me to leave the details up to her, she headed to the stairs. 
                “Now, if you were a mischievous man presented some lingerie from a stunning woman, where would you hide it?  Hmm.”  Alice bounded up the stairs to Edward’s room and headed straight for his dresser.  Rifling through his boxers, Alice came up empty.  Shutting the drawer, she slowly turned around while I sat on the leather couch that occupied the wall opposite his bed.
                “God, I hope they’re not in here,” Alice said with a grimace on her face as she looked into the drawer in Edward’s bedside table.  She was right.  The mental picture that conjured up was really less than appealing.  When she came up empty handed, Alice sat next to me on the couch, breathing a sigh of relief. “It’s nice to know he’s not that perverted!”
                “What’s going through your mind, Bella?  You know that this is all in good fun, right?”
                “Oh, I know, Alice.  It’s just a bit awkward.  I am confident in every aspect of my life, except men.  I feel a little self-conscious sitting here in your brother’s bedroom, letting you in on the flirt fest that has become my life over the last few days,” I said.
                “Pssh, Bella!  Nothing to worry about!  Now tell Alice all about this flirting,” she said with a smile.
                I looked at Alice’s blue eyes and knew there was genuine friendship there.  I couldn’t explain it.  I felt myself fall a little deeper into Forks.  The feeling of kinship and flirting and belonging swirled around me.  I took a deep breath, noting again the more concentrated Edward smell, and just spilled.
                “Alice, I have no idea where to start.  Everything about my life has always been so organized, so planned.   Jake and I were a couple, we did all of the couple things, you know?  But we discovered that being friends was a better option for us.  And we are best friends.  But then I began traveling, and he found Leah, and now I’m feeling all of these foreign feelings that I haven’t felt before.  I mean, I have felt drawn to a few other people, but not in the way I am to Edward, and I am afraid to put my heart out there only to have it broken.  I couldn’t bear it, Alice.  There are times I feel as if I am drifting, trying to find where I fit in, and I just never find it.” My outburst surprised me.  It was a week’s worth of frustration, coupled with a few years’ worth of questioning my own motives that caused a few stray tears to leak from the corners of my eyes. “And then Edward smiles and winks and steals my panties!  UGH!”
                A pair of tiny yet bone-crushingly strong arms wrapped around me while I got my shit together.  Then Alice spoke in a soft voice.
                “First of all, let me say that I am grateful for whatever it was that caused you to drift into Forks.  There seems to be a buzz in our lives now.  It was something that I had a hard time putting my finger on until I saw you and Edward together last night.  The buzz, I think, is you.  I know that it is crazy soon to be thinking in terms of relationships and whatnot, but I can see that there’s a connection between you and my brother.  You like him, and he likes you.  Just see where it goes.  I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.  I know Edward well enough to say that he’s very serious about anything he attempts to do.  I have no doubt that the same applies to matters of the heart, as well.”
                “That’s just the thing, Alice.  I am always so cautious, but I am so drawn to him. He says such nice things, and then leaves me feeling flustered, in that wonderfully good way. The next thing I know, he’s holding my hand and giving me a kiss on the cheek that I still feel the next morning.  He makes me want more, if you know what I mean.   But not only the romance part.  More from myself, more friends, more from life in general.  Can I be feeling like that after only a few days?  It just seems like a setup for disaster!” I practically cried as I threw my hands in the air in frustration. 
                “I knew Jasper was my one and only the second I laid eyes on his fine cowboy ass, but that is a rare occurrence.  Rose and Emmett took a while longer.  But who’s to say that what you’re feeling, whatever it is, isn’t worth investigating?  Make the most of the time you have.  And always know that you are in charge of where you want to go.  You’re through drifting, Bella.  Whether you stay in Forks for six months or sixty years, I’m fairly certain that your time here will help you decide what you want out of life.”  Alice’s face had a peculiar, far off look to it, and then she snapped out of her own world and gave me a squeeze. 
                “Now, about these panties.  I think there are two more places to check, and then we may have to come up with a plan B, my dear,” Alice said with a glint of evil in her eyes. 
                She walked to the bathroom, and I followed.  His shower was much like mine, with the multiple showerheads and the ample bench, although it was smaller by several square feet.  I watched as she carefully, with the skill of a trained professional, checked each of the vanity drawers, as well as the linen closet.  When she came up empty handed, Alice frowned.  “Nothing.  Where on Earth can he be hiding them?”
                “I have no idea, Alice.  I’ll have to ask him, I guess.  I was hoping to get him to take a run with me tonight after work, since the weather is supposed to clear in the afternoon, and…”
                “Wait!  Running?  Perfect!  I have a great idea!” she chirped, and went running for his dresser again, picking through another drawer.  She pulled a t-shirt from its spot amongst the rest of Edward’s clothes and tossed it to me.  It was white, with “Forks Spartans Baseball” written on the front, and across the back, in big, block letters was “CULLEN.”
                “I happen to know that shirt, for some reason, is one of his favorites.  The year he got it was the year that the team won the state championship.  And it is a universal thing, when they see a girl wearing an article of clothing belonging to them, all guys go caveman possessive.  Between having your panties and bra, as well as seeing you in his shirt, you are going to own him, girl!”
                “You don’t think he’ll get all freaked out?  I mean I was in his house without him knowing.  In most states, that’s B&E, you know?  And larceny!”
                “Oh, Bella, he’ll know I was with you.  No larceny intended, unless you count stealing his heart,” she sighed.
                “Corniest. Thing. Ever.  I can’t believe you just said that!”  I pushed her out the door of Edward’s room and into the hall.
                “Bella, remember what I said.  You’re in charge. Until you decide to see yourself as more than drifting, that’s what you’ll feel like.  Now, let’s go and grab Rosalie for lunch.”  Alice led the way down the stairs and we left the house with Edward’s shirt.
                Alice phoned Rose, letting her know that we’d be at the diner in a few minutes.  The Porsche found itself a parking spot halfway between Alice’s shop and our intended eatery, and we headed in to find a table for the three of us.
                Rose joined us soon after, and we ordered our food and fell into easy conversation.  There was a wine and cheese shop on the opposite side of the square that Rose recommended highly.  We chatted about the house, the new washer and dryer, and my job, when Alice began smiling. 
                “What’s up, Alice?  What in the world could have you grinning that big?” Rose asked, while instinctively, I clutched my napkin and blushed. 
                “Well, Rose, it seems that Bella here has met my brother,” Alice began.
                “Uh oh. Bella, what has she done to you?  Is it something that can be undone?  You do know she means well, right?” Rose said with a note of sympathy in her voice.
                “Um, yeah.  I’m finding that out.  Actually, I worked with Edward yesterday, but we actually met the day before.  He, uh, let me borrow his washer and dryer and saved me a trip to the Laundromat.   It turns out we have a lot in common.  He’ll be at dinner tomorrow night, too,” I said, trying to keep the excitement from my voice. 
                “So, you’ll be spending four evenings in a row with him, provided that you can twist his arm and get him to go running with you tonight, then tomorrow night with dinner.  I have never seen Edward so excited about a girl before, Bella.”
                “Oh, Alice, please stop!  OK, Rose, I’ll fill you in.  Edward and I have been flirting like crazy since we met.  This flirting may or may not have led to a kiss or two.  I like him, and I think he likes me.  We’re enjoying each other’s company and we’ll see how it goes,” I confessed.
                “I hate to say it, Bella, but Alice is right.  Edward is usually so reserved in matters of the heart.  It is nice to see him living a little.  The serious doctor thing has to get old after a while.  And I don’t call him Monkward for nothing,” Rose said, winking at Alice.
                “That’s just the thing, Rose.  I am usually the one to keep the distance.  A few years back, I fell for a guy, and when I extended my assignment because I thought he loved me like I loved him, he broke it off with me, saying that he didn’t feel as if he could offer the commitment that I was seeking.  I was devastated and since then, I have been content to focus on work and keep people at a distance emotionally.  Maybe things have been brewing for a while, but when I got here, to be honest, I noticed the love between you and Emmett, and Alice and Jasper.  My best friend back in Phoenix is getting ready to ask his girlfriend to marry him.  My mom is constantly telling me about how her friends are all becoming grandmothers.  Maybe I am ready to try again, to put myself out there.  Maybe I’m just tired of being alone.  But then, in the back of my head, I have things I want to accomplish, places to see, degrees to finish.  I think those goals might be what have been keeping me from opening my heart.  And then, in the span of seven days, I meet a guy who is fantastic, in a place that feels more like home than the place where I grew up, and I end up pouring my heart out to a couple of girls I barely know, but feel such a connection to that I can’t just dismiss it.  Is any of this making sense?  Stop me if you think I need medication…”
Rose cracked a smile and said, “I think Dr. Edward has just the medicine you need, Bella!”  Alice let out a hoot, and other patrons looked up from their lunches to see what the fuss was about.  I blushed a brilliant crimson, I’m sure, and tried to hide my smile.  The three of us burst out laughing, and just like that, the burdens of my heart and mind became a little lighter. 
The rest of our lunch hour (yes, it must be nice to own your own business and take hour-long lunches) was spent getting to know one another.  Rose and Emmett planned to marry in March, while Alice had been orchestrating the perfect June wedding, as in a year from now June, for herself and Jasper since January.  She assured me that a long engagement like hers was necessary to work out the details, while Rose rolled her eyes.  She and Emmett were considering a beach wedding on a tiny Hawaiian island.  They wanted something intimate to share with their closest family and friends, while at the same time, a grand celebration.  Their weddings would be polar opposites, it seemed.
I shared more details of my travels and of my family, and told them how I hoped that they might tag along as I tried to knock a few more states off of my list.  Of course, Alice had knowledge of a perfect resort on the Oregon coast, and Rose had a relative who owned a condo at Lake Tahoe.  More road trips were indeed in my future.
We paid the bill and headed from the diner, Rosalie headed back to her office, while Alice and I walked the short distance to her shop.  We were greeted by Brandy, a perky, pierced brunette who was thumbing through the latest issue of Vogue.
“Brandy, this is Bella.  She is renting Em and Rose’s Victorian.  Bella, don’t let Brandy’s collection of precious metal and gemstones embedded in her scare you.  She really is a sweetheart!” Alice said, with a wink in Brandy’s direction.
“Nice to meet you, Bella!” Brandy said with a smile and a flash of a barbell through her tongue.  “Alice, The Spanx rep called, and they wanted to know if you would like to preview the new line of pantyhose they are offering.  The contact info is on your screen on an orange Post-It. I went ahead and pulled a quick inventory of what we have on hand already, which is on the green Post-It.  We can probably do a small counter display here at the register and the main display will fit in quite nicely near the front window upstairs, the sketch of which is on the blue Post-It.  And, a reminder of how invaluable I am is on the heart-shaped Post-It.”
Alice giggled and pulled Brandy into a hug. “Remind me to give you a raise, girl!”
“That’s what’s on the purple Post-It!” Brandy called as she disappeared into the back area.
Laughing, Alice ushered me up the stairs to the second floor.  It was unbelievable.  Posh didn’t begin to describe it.  This place wasn’t just someplace to buy underwear, it was a destination.  I turned in a circle, taking it all in, my mouth agape. 
“Alice…there are no words!  This is a shrine to silk and lace, with a little spandex for good measure!  You must have been touched by the very hand of God to have created such a place!”  I looked to my left, toward the front of the store, where there were two windows with a plump, comfy couch in between.  The hardwood floors had fluffy throw rugs scattered about in hues of champagne, pink and chocolate.  The walls were a color that could only be described as a blush, and at the area of the huge room opposite the windows housed a huge triple mirror and a platform upon which to view yourself from every angle.  The dressing area was situated near the top of the steps, two large rooms perfectly outfitted with cushioned benches and antique mirrors.
“It makes me proud to hear your praise, Bella!  You know, in high school, I had a clear vision of what I wanted to do.  I love fashion, but a lot of people think that I’m just some flighty girl who has taken my parents’ money and gotten lucky when I opened this place.  I worked so hard in college to learn about the business of fashion, too.”
“Well, I don’t know much about business, Alice, but I know what I like.  This room makes me want to stay and shop forever, and I really don’t like to shop!  Except for underwear.”
“Well, Bella, you are in the right place then!”
I wandered through the racks, picking up things to try on here and there, chatting with Alice about dresses and shoes.  I came across the perfect replacement for my pilfered panties and bra, hoping that the bra would make the girls look incredible.  I took the items to the dressing room to try on. As I was undressing, I heard my phone beep, indicating that I had an incoming text.  Edward.
This place isn’t as fun without you today. :( What’s up? -e
I’m at Alice’s trying on a few things. –b
I’m afraid I’ll need photographic confirmation of that. –e
Fat chance, Cullen.  Not until after the 5th date, at least.  ;)  –b
I have my mission, then. –e
That you do. Wanna go for a run after you get home? I’m in desperate need to stretch my legs.-b
Sounds like a plan.  I’ll be by right after I get home. –e
Call me? –b
You got it, beautiful.  Until tonight :) -e
My pulse was racing.  He called me beautiful!  Swoon!  After catching my breath, I tried on the pieces I had brought into the dressing room.  The bra I had high hopes for looked damn good.   The rest of the things were lovely, too.  It was so difficult to decide, but I made my choices and joined Alice once again.
“I have a hot running date with your brother tonight,” I said to Alice as she took the items I wasn’t getting and returned them to their place on the racks. 
“Texting behind closed doors now, are we?” Alice teased as she appraised my purchases.  “This is a great bra, by the way.  Lifts and separates!!”
“I can’t wait for his reaction when he sees the shirt!  I hope he thinks it’s funny.”
Alice laughed.  “Of course he’ll think it’s funny and flirty and dare I say sexy!”
We made it to the counter to pay for my things when Brandy saw the bra that I had chosen.  “I have that one in black.  Drives Jed insane.  Plus it lifts and separates!”
I burst out laughing.  “That’s exactly what Alice just said!  I look forward to wearing it.”
“Will you be wearing it for anyone in particular, Bella?” Brandy asked with a smile. 
I looked at Alice who had a smirk on her face.  What do I say?
“Perhaps in the future?  I don’t have a boyfriend, though.  I travel for a living, so I’m fairly unattached.”
“But we are working on rectifying that situation, aren’t we, Bella?” Alice said with such mischief that I kind of shuddered.
“Oh? Anyone I know, Alice?” Brandy said, with almost the same intensity as the pixie.
“My brother has taken a shine to our fair Bella,” Alice started.
“Shut up!  Edward Cullen might be off the market?  Ovaries everywhere must be weeping!” Brandy laughed.  Yep.  She spends way too much time with her boss. 
“Stop it! You girls are terrible!” I squeaked.  Alice and Brandy just kept giggling.
Brandy winked.  “Truly, Bella, I am happy to hear that Edward is coming out of his shell. He is so darn serious and into his work.  He and my husband, Jed, work together from time to time since Jed is a family medicine doc.  Maybe you can keep Edward from volunteering to take too many extra shifts and get him to live a little!”
“My plan exactly!” Alice chimed in.
“I’ll see what I can do, I suppose,” I relented. It was apparent that these ladies meant well, but I still blushed like crazy, eager to change the subject.
Alice wrapped my purchases as Brandy finished the transaction.  It then dawned on me that Alice drove us here.  It wasn’t a long walk home, but since Brandy was leaving, she offered to drop me at my house.  I retrieved Edward’s shirt from Alice’s car and Brandy and I left.  She and Jed only lived about a half-mile from me, so I didn’t feel too guilty about her going out of her way. 
After I got back home, I took my new pretty things upstairs and flopped on my bed.  It was already 2:30.  Approximately five hours until Edward would be home.  I picked up my phone and began to tap out a to-do list.  I needed to grocery shop, clean a little, organize my office area a bit, find some hanging baskets for the porch, and make a Target run. Target was definitely something for tomorrow.  I rested my eyes a bit and then headed downstairs.  After looking at my recipe for chicken Marsala, I quickly scribbled a list of things that I would need.  I jumped into Rufus and heard my phone announce a new text.  My silly inner teenager squealed, and I scrambled to read it.
I hope you found some nice things at Alice’s. –e
Immediately I replied.  So much for building anticipation.
I did.  You still up for a run? –b
Of course.  I’d love to tour you around Forks.  Does this count as a date? :) -e
If you throw in some ice cream from the place down the street it does. –b
Score!  Things are pretty calm here.  Hoping to be out on time.  CU @ 7:30 –e
Great! See you then. ;) –b
I floated to the grocery store and picked up all that I needed for dinner and the next couple of days.  On the way back, I stopped by the little shop on the square for some wine and some brie.  I couldn’t find the crackers I like to go with the brie, hoping that I’d have better luck in Port Angeles tomorrow.  As I headed home, I saw Rosalie and Emmett walking toward her office.  I honked and waved, only to hear Emmett bellow, “BELLAAAA” and wave like a four year-old. Rose elbowed him in the side and rolled her eyes, laughing. I laughed to myself at how I felt like I was in freaking Mayberry waving and honking.  What a dork.
Time seemed to drag as I looked at the clock after putting the groceries away.  It was only 5:30 and I had two hours to kill.  I made a sandwich for myself and ate it. I cleaned the bathrooms, straightened the TV room and gave the kitchen a quick once-over.  6:30. Tick tock.  I revised my list for Port Angeles.  I swept the front porch.  I checked my email.  6:50. Deciding that was close enough to go time, I ran upstairs and changed into a running bra, some shorts and Edward’s shirt.  I felt giddy as I turned in the mirror to see “CULLEN” written across my back.  The shirt was huge on me, but I wore it anyway.  Plus it smelled like him.  Sigh.  Running a brush through my hair, I gave some thought to Alice’s words from earlier today.  She and Jake must share some cosmic wavelength or something.  It was both comforting and disturbing that both my best friend of over fifteen years and a new friend of a week had come to the same conclusion about me and my life.  Was I that readable that Alice could see me so clearly?  And Jake with the friendly nudge back into the whole dating thing?  I was tired of drifting.  Could Edward be the anchor I needed?
I pulled a pair of socks from my drawer and tried not to run downstairs to check the time.  As I made it to the kitchen, I saw that it was 7:10, so I grabbed my phone, keys and my shoes and headed for the porch swing.  Just as I finished tying my shoes, Edward sent me a text.
Leaving now.  See you in a few. –e
I’ll be waiting on the swing. –b
I went back inside and turned on the light in the foyer on the porch so that I wouldn’t come home to a dark house and locked up.  The silver Volvo that I had been waiting for drove by.  Edward honked and waved, his smile brilliant.  I’m guessing he saw my big goofy grin, too.  Not two minutes later, I spied him coming around the corner and he broke into a jog. 
“Hi, beautiful,” Edward said as he climbed the steps.  His face flashed in confusion and then he laughed.  “I like your shirt.”
I smiled and did a slow twirl, picking up the hem and tying a small knot in the side to keep it from falling past my shorts.  “Now I have something of yours, too.  We’re even.”
“Indeed, we are.  But I think you might look at me funny if I were to show up in your bra and panties,” he said, taking a step closer.
“Quite the contrary,” I said, matching his step and bringing my face to his.  “I don’t do kinky until at least the fifth date, though, so I’ll have to settle for my imagination until then.”  I kissed his nose and pulled him down the stairs.  My heart was pounding, and we hadn’t even left the porch.


Edward


Good lord, how did Bella get my shirt?  And why did my Johnson twitch when I saw my name across her shoulders?  The urge to back her ass up against the house and kiss her senseless was overwhelming, but I resisted.
She was a vixen, bending over under the pretense of doing a stretch, but I knew she was trying to rile me up.  It was working.  I stretched as well, trying not to notice the curve of her hips to her thigh, or her shapely calves.  It was torture, and I was so happy to be subjected to it.
“So where are we headed, Cullen?  Left or right?” Bella asked as we walked down her driveway to the street. 
“I think we’ll go left, down toward the school and then loop back and stop for ice cream, OK? Then you can tell me how you acquired this,” I said, touching my shirt.
“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Bella said with a sly grin, and then started to run away.  The view from behind was amazing, but I quickly followed and pulled up beside her.
It was an easy run and not much was said.  After about twenty minutes, we found ourselves on the main road that made its way through Forks.   About a quarter mile from the ice cream parlor, I slowed us to a walk so that we could cool down a bit.  Neither of us was winded, but we had worked up a nice sweat.  The cool ice cream would be a welcomed treat.  I was contemplating whether or not to take her hand when I felt her slip her hand into mine.  It felt right.
I held the door as we walked into the parlor, because that’s the kind of gentleman I am, and watched Bella’s curvy ass and hips sway as she walked past, because that’s the kind of horny teenager I am.  I looked up and saw Camille, the owner of the shop, shaking her head at me. 
“I’d expect that of Emmett, but not you, Edward!” she said to me with a wink.
“He’s a bad influence, that brother of mine,” I said and gave her my best apologetic smile.  She saw through my bullshit and laughed. “Camille, this is Bella.  She just moved here to town and works at the hospital with me.  Bella, this is Camille, my ice cream supplier since I was in utero.” 
“Nice to meet you, Bella!  It’s true, Edward has been coming here since he and that sister of his gave poor Esme the biggest craving for mint chocolate chip I have ever seen.  What can I get you kids tonight?” Camille asked.
“I think I’ll have a single scoop of brownie batter in a sugar cone, please,” Bella said, looking like a five year old girl as she gazed in wonder at all of the choices before her.  Camille made her cone and handed it to her, and then began making my mint chocolate chip cone.
“He never gets anything else, honey,” laughed Camille when Bella looked at us with a questioning look on her face.
“That’s good!  I was beginning to wonder if there was some mindreading going on or something,” said Bella. 
I paid for our cones and we took seats at a table next to the window.  “So what are your plans for tomorrow, Edward?” Bella asked.
I was quite taken with watching her mouth as she ate her cone.  It was like a fucking preview of a blowjob.  Realizing that she was waiting for me to actually respond to her question and not sit there, picturing her mouth wrapped around me, I looked at her eyes and smiled.  “I have the day off, as you might know.  Nothing really planned.  Catching up on housework, some shopping.  I need to get my lawn mowed sometime this weekend.  And then I have a dinner party to attend at this hot chick’s house.”
Bella snickered. “Anyone I know?”
I leaned back in my seat and tangled my feet in hers, craving some kind of contact with her. “What about you?  Grand plans?”
“I just have to make a run to Port Angeles.  They have a Target there, right?  Just a few things to do here and there.  Then I need to get ready, because this hot guy is coming over for dinner,” she says, and wraps her mouth around her cone again, drawing it out slowly.  This woman was going to be the death of me. 
“I could go with you to Port Angeles, if you’d like.  That is, if you’re not totally sick of me yet,” I began, then popped the last of my cone into my mouth.  I noticed Bella looking at my mouth, just as I had been doing to hers.  It was time for a little fun.  I wanted to see her adorable blush.  “Bella, my eyes are up here.”
Bella’s eyes grew wide, her cheeks reddened and then she shot me a frown.  Then her face lit up with a fantastic smile.  “You caught me ogling your mouth, Cullen.  It’s not a bad thing.”  She licked her lips slowly, taking the last little bit of her cone into her mouth and turned the act of eating the confection into porn right in front of me. 
I turned in my seat and smiled at Camille.  “See you next time, my dear.”
“Don’t be a stranger, Eddie,” she called back with a laugh, knowing how much I hated that name.
Bella waved and said goodbye as well, and we headed back to her place a few short blocks away.  I wanted to take her hand, but then she beat me to it. 
“So, would you like to go together tomorrow, or do you want to fly solo?  I won’t be offended if you’d rather go by yourself,” I said, looking down at her, so cute in my oversized shirt.  Her ponytail was swaying with her walk and I was mesmerized by her every move. 
“That would be lovely, Edward.  Would you mind if we got an early start, though?  I was hoping to leave here by 8:00 so that I could get back before 2:00 or so,” Bella said.  “Oh, and I was planning to get my oil changed as well, so would you mind if I drove?”
“I’d love to take a trip in Rufus!” I told her as we approached the sidewalk in front of her house, and then climbed the stairs to the porch. 
“Would you like to come in?  I know you’re probably all sweaty and gross from running, but I was hoping…” she began, then she turned from me to unlock the door.
“What were you hoping?” I asked. “And you never did tell me how you acquired my shirt,” I said in a low voice close to her ear.  I felt her shiver, which made my stomach do flip flops. 
“I was just hoping that our date wasn’t over yet, because I always seem to have fun with you.  And blame your twin for the breaking and entering.  We tried to recover my unmentionables and that mission was a total fail.  She thought your favorite t-shirt would be a fair trade.  She got the bat-shit crazy gene, by the way.”  I closed the door behind us as she went into the parlor.
“I won’t argue with you there.  That girl is my sister and the best friend I have, but the things she gets in her head are enough to drive someone nuts.  Jasper is a saint!” I laughed.
Bella placed her keys on her desk, and then turned around, reaching for my hand.  “I won’t keep you long.  I just wanted to properly thank you for the date.  I had a wonderful time, but don’t think our neighbors want to see me snogging you senseless on my front porch.”
“Mmmmm,” I hummed as I drew her into my arms and kissed her lips, a hint of chocolate remaining from the mouth orgy that was her cone.  “You taste like chocolate.”
“And you’re minty.” 
We continued to stand there, kissing, tasting each other’s mouth.  At one point, she reached up and tangled her hands in my hair, which caused me to draw her hips into mine.  The feeling was out of this world, her petite body pressed up against mine, the bulge in my pants starting to strain against its confines.  She broke the kiss, breathing heavily, resting her head on my chest. 
“As much as I’d like to put out on this first date,” Bella began with a wicked smile on her lips, “I think that we’d be better off saying good night.  I’m sure you didn’t get enough sleep last night, and I want you to be able to stay awake for me tomorrow.  I have plans for you, mister.”
“Oooh.  And what might these plans be?  Should we count it as a second date then?” I asked playfully.
“That we should.  I will be at your place at 8AM.  Be there or be square, got it?”
“Yes ma’am.” I bent down to give her another kiss, and she surprised me by licking my bottom lip.  At that point I was obliged to return the favor with a few licks of my own.  Bella groaned and broke away. 
“I am really liking the taste of mint at this moment,” she giggled, “but I need my beauty sleep.”
“What?” I said, aghast.  “You licked me first!”
“I know.  I’m a fickle female, but I have my reasons.  Out!  I’ll see you in eleven hours,” she countered, pushing me toward the door. 
I turned around quickly, wrapping my arms around her and lifting her up.  Kissing her soundly, I then returned her to her feet and whispered in her ear, “No, my Bella, I’ll see you in my dreams.”
“OK. Part of me wants to get all giddy and think that you just said the sweetest thing to me, and the other part wants to laugh at what a cheesy line that was, Cullen,” Bella said with a grin.
I let my eyes roam all over her body and then locked eyes with her.  “It’s a good thing that I like all of your parts, then.”  I deployed the panty-dropping half smile and then kissed her nose.
We stepped onto the porch and shared one last peck before I jogged down the steps and off toward my house.  I looked over my shoulder to see the porch light blink, and jogged the rest of the way home. 
Once I made it inside, I headed straight for the shower, mostly because Bella Swan had made me hard as a rock, and I was aching for relief.  A few strokes into my self-appreciation, all I could think of was her mouth and the way I yearned for it to caress my cock as it had that ice cream cone.  An embarrassingly short amount of time later, I came undone.  After I finished washing, I jumped from the shower and dried off.  I heard my phone beep, so I hurried to pick it up, hoping it was Bella. I wasn’t disappointed.

All squeaky clean? ;) –b

I am. You? –e

Yup. Thanks for a great evening.  I’d have to say it was the best first date ever! –b

Same here. Prepare yourself for the best second date ever tomorrow. –e

I have no doubt it will be.  See you at 8! –b

Yes, you will.  Goodnight, beautiful. :) -e

Goodnight!  Sweet dreams, Dr. Cheesy –b


I pulled on a pair of pajama pants and collapsed into bed.  Exhaustion won out over the anticipation of another day with the woman who was quickly stealing my heart.                                         

0 comments: