Monday, March 1, 2010

Detours, Chapter 9

Okay.  Here's chapter 9 for your consumption.
This little blog thing is an evolving thing. Hoping that I can organize it a bit better so that the chapters will have their own little section, etc, but I am a techtard.  Eventually I will figure it out.

So, do you ever write and have songs that inspire you? This chapter, for some reason, I listened to The Fray, Gomez and Journey's Greatest Hits. That was until my computer ate all of my iTunes. Fucking 2500 songs...gone. I am going to contact apple and see if i can download the purchased ones again. I suspect that my 9 year old had something to do with the catastrophe. She denies it, like we all would, because I was utterly pissed and nobody wants a piece of that. Anyway....


Here's 9. I hope you enjoy!



Edward
             
 I looked down at Bella in my arms, sleeping.  She looked so lovely.  Her fair skin had gotten a little pink from her adventures in the rare sun earlier.  Up close, I was able to drink in the features of her face.  Her skin was flawless, save for a few scattered freckles over the bridge of her nose and onto the apples of her cheeks. I traced the arch of her eyebrow lightly with my finger. Her shiny brown hair was still in a ponytail, which had taken up residence near the skin of her collarbone that I loved to kiss so much.  Her lips were moist, barely parted and I could swear I saw an indentation on her full lower lip from where she constantly bit it.

She was perfect.

It was almost 4 o’clock.  We had had a nice two hour nap, and I noticed that she was beginning to stir, soon to wake like me. I leaned down and placed a whisper of a kiss on her lips.  After a moment, her mouth curved into a smile and her eyelids fluttered open. This close, I was able to discern that her irises were not merely brown, but flecks of gold, chestnut, mahogany, and a deep umber.  They were breathtaking.

              “Hi,” she said with her sleep-addled voice as she stretched like a cat, lightly rubbing her ass on my dick.  It was definitely awake.

              “Hi, yourself.  Did you have a nice nap?” I asked, trying not to flip her over and grind her into the mattress. “You have a few more minutes that you can sleep.”

              “Oh, I’m good, I think.  I feel pretty rested,” she said with a sigh.

              I could not resist, so I reached out and palmed her ass.  “Yup, you feel pretty rested to me, too.”

             Bella giggled and squirmed.  “Very funny, Cullen.  Give me a sec to use the bathroom, okay?”

              I nodded and stretched, feeling a little alone even though she was only ten feet away.  I hoped and prayed that I was falling in love; otherwise I was sure I was becoming the world’s biggest pussy.  Bella returned and sat next to me on the bed.  She smiled and curled next to me again. 

             “So, what do you have planned for this evening?” she asked as she played with my watch. 
  
            “Oh, I’ll probably cut my grass and do some other yard work. Putter around the house and catch a movie tonight on cable.”  And miss you terribly, I thought. 
  
            “I guess I have been keeping you from your routine, huh?” she said with a little smile. 

              “I wouldn’t say that.  It’s more like you have rearranged my routine for the better,” I said, then kissed her softly on her lips.

              That comment earned me a smile and a hug.  I loved the way her body just fit perfectly with mine.  She gave me a big squeeze as she looked up at me.

             “I have to head home in a bit to get ready for work, but I seem to remember that we have a bit of unfinished business from earlier today.”  Bella had a playful smile on her slightly parted lips.

             My dick sprung to attention.

             My brain fought to be a gentleman.

              “Bella, we don’t have to…” I began as she stroked my cock lightly through my shorts. 

              “But I really want to,” she countered breathily.

             My dick laughed at my brain as she continued to tease me.

              Before I knew what was happening, Bella had situated herself on top of my crotch, straddling me.  I could see her hardened nipples through her bra and thin cotton shirt, and like a moth to the flame, I reached for them.

              Bella leaned her breasts into my eager hands as she searched for friction with her sex, grinding into me. I sat up, bringing my hands to her ass to press us together more.  She groaned and rested her forehead on mine.

             “God, Edward, it’s like I can’t get enough of you.  The way you make me feel…I can’t even begin to tell you.”
  
            “Mmm,” I said, and kissed her, our tongues seeking out one another.  Her mouth was so warm and inviting. I moaned at the pleasure.

             “I feel like that, too,” I panted between kisses.  “You’re what I have been missing, Bella.”  Her brown eyes grew wide, and for a moment, I thought I had revealed too much, too soon.  Then her mouth crashed down on mine and I could feel all of the passion, the longing, the years of searching contained in that kiss.  We might not be ready to call it love, but we both knew that’s what it was.  And we were both fine with it being unspoken for now. 

             We kissed until we were breathless.  Bella then began an assault on my neck with her lips, her tongue, and her teeth.  I fell back on the bed as she stripped my shirt from me and continued down to the waistband of my shorts.  Looking down at her, I saw her face, flushed with desire.  She placed her hand on the button of my shorts and I gave her a crooked grin, a silent invitation to continue.

              Bella slid my shorts and underwear down quickly, her eagerness making me harder. I kicked them away as she ran her fingers over my abs, scratching with just enough force to make the slight pain pleasurable.  When her eyes met mine, the sexiest smile fell upon her lips as her small hand found its way to my cock.  She bent her head down, and I felt her tongue lick my slit, then circle around the head, torturously slow. 

              “God that feels amazing, Bella!” I said as she began to suck lightly on the head and squeezed my shaft with her hand. I was suddenly faced with a dilemma with what to do with my hands.  Would it be too caveman to weave my fingers through her hair while her mouth was on me?  The instinct was strong to have another connection with her body.  Like she was reading my mind, her free hand reached for my own and she guided it to the back of her head. Her eyes stayed locked with mine. When my hand became tangled in her tresses, she opened her mouth wider and groaned as she took me deeper.  I about lost it right there.

              “Shit! Your mouth is so fucking good!” I said in a strangled voice as I watched her red lips slide up to the tip and then back down as far as she could take me.  I felt her tongue on the underside of my cock flatten out and press against me as she worked her way back up. Her hand had moved from my cock to my ass, where she gently squeezed in rhythm with her mouth.  Over and over, her mouth slid down and up, working me with her magnificent tongue, and I felt my orgasm approach.

              “Ah, oh God, Bella,” I said as I tried to move her from my impending release, but she would have none of that. In fact, she grasped me tighter and began to work her mouth faster over my swollen head. As she looked up through her long, dark lashes, I think it was her tongue that actually was my undoing.  I came long and hard as I felt it swirl around the tip, yelling her name.

              “There is no way… no words,” I panted as I cupped her cheek and fell back on the bed.  Bella crawled back up to my side, a satisfied smile on her flushed face. I pulled her to my chest, kissing her head.

              “So, my first time wasn’t that bad?” she asked with a smirk. “I rather enjoyed myself.”

              “Bella, the things you just did to me were so far off the charts.  Seriously, I had no idea I could feel so good.  I, uh, tried to warn you…”

              “Edward, the brief taste I had of you this morning has consumed me all day.  I couldn’t wait to get my mouth on you again,” Bella said with a shy confidence only she could pull off.  Sexy and innocent at the same time.  Pure Bella. 

              “Well, the feeling is mutual,” I said as I ghosted my hand over her center.  I knew she would have to leave soon, and I wanted the afterglow to last me all night. “Hopefully we will be able to carve some time out of our schedules to spend time together this week.”

              “Oh, you better count on it, Cullen.”

              Bella and I laid there in each other’s arms for a few more minutes until the alarm on my phone went off.  She squeezed me tight and groaned.  We found our discarded clothes and made ourselves presentable.

              “I really wish I had some more time, but I would like to get a shower and take care of a few things before I go in tonight,” Bella said with a sigh.

              “I know, love. Off to the salt mines with you.  At least Forks doesn’t have all of the excitement of a big city to keep you elbows deep in stabbings and gunshot wounds.  That’s something I don’t miss.” I got up off of the bed and pulled her to her feet, wrapping her in my arms. 

              We descended the stairs and walked to the porch after Bella retrieved her keys and phone.  The late afternoon heat was present, but the skies had clouded over. Rain wasn’t too far off.

              “Now, what should I expect tomorrow morning at brunch?” Bella asked as she hopped down the steps like a little kid. 

              “Well, nothing too unusual, I guess.  The only person you haven’t met is my mom.  She is a perfect blend of Emmett, Alice and I.  You’ll see.  She’s a wonderful cook, a fantastic designer, and can be a little pushy when it comes to her single son, but even that falls under the heading of terrific mom.  You’ll love her.”

              “I’m sure I will.  I’m looking forward to it.  What time do you want to leave?”

              “Oh, 9:30 will be fine.  That’ll give you enough time to get home and shower and change.  And nothing fancy.  I plan to wear shorts and a polo shirt, if that helps,” I said, giving her hand a light squeeze.

              “Great!  Do we get to count it as a date?  We can call it date three?”

              “Counting the dates, Swan?”

              “Yes. Yes I am.  It makes me all giddy and feel all girly.  And don’t tell me you aren’t counting, too.  I can tell.”

              “You got me,” I said, kissing her.  I had intended for it to be a brief one, but Bella threw her arms around my neck and began to suck gently on my bottom lip. I let out a groan, squeezing  her to my chest. 

              “I need to let you get going,” I said quietly as we parted. “I would walk you home, but then I’d just undoubtedly find my way into your…fuckhot panties... house.”

              Bella gave me a playful smack to the back of my head, and I feigned injury.  She began walking backward, away from me.  We dropped hands and she began her short walk home. 

              “Bye, Edward,” she called over her shoulder, smiling.

              “Bye, Bella.  See you in the morning,” I said.  I watched her until she reached the corner and turned left toward her house.

              Looking at the sky, which was threatening rain. I scrubbed my hands over my face and headed to the garage.  It seemed that this afternoon, I had a date with a lawn mower.
             
 
Bella
             
              I tried my hardest not to skip home, even though my heart was so light.  When I got in the door, I shut it behind me and rested my back against it.  I raised my hand to my chest and felt my pulse.  It was racing as if I had run a marathon, not walked less than a block.  Edward Cullen had seemed to have that effect on me. 

              The squeal that escaped my mouth made me laugh at myself.  It had been so very long that I had felt so free.  The feeling was intoxicating, and it was in that moment that I decided that I was through drifting.  I had my commitment to the agency through the end of February.  After that, I would be free.

              But free to do what?  Return to Forks?  Whoa.  Cart before the horse, Bella.

              Returning to Forks was an option.  But then what about school?  And there was the little issue of my feelings for Edward.

              I had some time to figure all of that out.  

**~*~**
 
              The department was empty of patients when I got there.  It had been all day.
             
“Bella!” James Shaw called as I came into the conference room.  “Good to see you!  We’re not busy here at all today, and Vicki is getting slammed upstairs on OB.  I think you have been chosen to float up there and help out.  If we pick up, then you’ll come back down.  Glenda wanted me to tell you that.  She’s in a charge nurse meeting.”

              “Oh.  Wow!  Well, I guess I’ll get going up there, then?” I half asked, half said.

              Glenda swept into the room just then, breathing a sigh of relief when she saw me standing there.

              “You are just the nurse I was looking for, Bella.  We are quiet down here for the time being, and they are hopping upstairs.  You mentioned that you wanted OB experience, right?” Glenda said with a smile.

              “Sure.  Just point me the way!” I said.  There was no way I could turn Glenda down.

              I looked back at James and waved.  “See you, desert rat,”  he called, going back to blowing up exam gloves into balloons.

              “Thanks for being such a good sport about this, Bella.  I don’t think I’ll be getting out of here any time soon, so I will come by and check on you later.”

              “I’m sure it’ll all be fine.  That’s why they pay me the big bucks, right?”

              Glenda snorted as she pushed the button for the elevator.  As we waited, she pounced.

              “So, how is Dr. Cullen these days?” she asked with a wicked grin.

              “He’s well.” Blushblushblush.

              “Has the boy asked you on a proper date yet?  Because if he hasn’t, I’ll have a talk with him.”

              “Yes, he has asked me out. We have been out a few times, and I’m headed over to Casa Cullen in the morning for brunch with everyone. Now don’t push, Momma Bear.  If it’s meant to happen, it’ll happen.”

              Glenda let out a hearty laugh.  “That tells me that you have the desire for it to happen, little girl.”  She put her arm around me.  “Trust me, if the connection is there, don’t worry about logistics.”

              “Thanks, Glenda,” I said, simply.  I suddenly wanted to call my own mom. 

              We arrived on the OB unit, and I saw Vicki sitting at the nurses’ station, assessing the five fetal monitors that were busily tracing the activity on five separate wombs.  She looked up and smiled widely.

              “Ladies! Glad you made it to the party!  We have favors and everything!” she said as she twirled IV tubing over her head.

              “Bella, this is Deann.  She’ll be helping you tonight.  Now, they know that you don’t have much OB experience, but just ask her for anything you might need,” Glenda said, motioning to the blonde nurse that had come to stand by us.

              “I’m glad to have you here, Bella.  We have five moms monitored right now. Four are term and are either admitted or will be that way shortly. One is a 32-weeker that we are keeping an eye on.  And we also have two mother-baby pairs.  The plan is for you to take the antepartum patients and lend a hand when needed with our laboring moms.  I have one about to start pushing, two who are only about three to six centimeters dilated and one whose water broke and is in very early labor.  How does all of that sound?”

              In all actuality, it didn’t sound very bad.  “I think I can handle it.  Just point me in the direction I need to be.”

              Glenda gave me a pat on the back and said she’d be back in an hour or so, while Deann gave me a quick tour of the unit. Vicki was with the other nurse, Lanie, checking on the patient who was about to begin pushing.

              “Is it always so busy?” I asked as I loaded my pockets with the things I’d need for the evening. 

              “Well, I think OB is a lot like the ED with regard to the fluctuation in census, but this is unusual. I’d sure like to know what caused everyone to do it like animals nine months ago!  We have been steadily busy for about the last six weeks or so, and things don’t look like they’ll slow down for another month,” Deann commented. 

              We went to meet the mother-baby pairs first.  The first mom had delivered the previous night, and the second earlier today.  Deann ran through the chart with me as I assessed the patients.  After we finished with them, we checked on the patient who was being observed for early labor.  She was comfortable and her contractions had slowed considerably.  Hopefully, that would continue and she could be discharged in the morning. 

              By the time I made it back to the nurses’ station, it was 8:45 and there was one more baby in the town of Forks.  I was sitting at the desk, going through all of the charting when I heard what had, over the past few days, become my favorite sound.

              “Hello, beautiful,” Edward said as I looked up in surprise.  He had a travel mug of coffee and a small bag in his hand.

              “Well, hi yourself!  What brings you by?  I thought you were going to be a couch potato tonight!”

              Edward leaned across the ledge that separated us, his green eyes alive with happiness.  “I just thought you might be needing some caffeine and a sugar rush right about now, that’s all.”

              As if on cue, my stomach let out a giant growl, causing me to giggle like a twelve year old. 

              “I’ll take that as a yes,” he said, pushing off the ledge and coming around the desk.  He even did that like a god. 

              Pulling up a chair beside me, Edward set the coffee and paper bag on the desk.  He leaned in, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek, which immediately caused me to blush.  He brushed his fingers across my pink skin and whispered, “That’s what I was hoping to see.”  Swoon!  

              I looked around, hoping that we didn’t have an audience, which we didn’t, and reached over to give his hand a quick squeeze.  “It’s nice to see you.  I guess your dad let you know that I was stolen for the night?”

              “Actually, it was Glenda.  There was no way to wipe the grin off of her face, either,” He said with a laugh. 

              “I guess things are crazy house-wide, except for the ED.  Hopefully she’ll head home soon, though.”  I eyed the bag with curiosity.  “So what did you bring for me, Cullen?”

              “I may have called my mom and asked her for her peanut butter cookie recipe.  They aren’t nearly as good as hers, but I made plenty so you can share,” he said with obvious pride.  Without hesitation, I opened the bag and snatched a cookie, devouring it.  It was delicious.

              “It is official,” I said, after snarfing the whole thing.  “You have no faults, Dr. Cullen!”  I leaned over and gave him a sweet kiss on the lips.

              “Oh, Bella!  That’s the last thing you should have said to Edward!” Vicki laughed as she rounded the corner, witnessing my little PDA.  “Now his ego will know no bounds!  Oooh! Cookies!”

              “And you think you should get one after that comment?” Edward joked, suddenly becoming protective of the bag of goodies.  Lanie and Deann appeared next, peering over Vicki’s shoulder.

              Looking impossibly adorable, Edward relented, opening the bag to each of the women, sharing his creations.

              “It’s good to see that you play well with others, Edward,” Vicki chided as she sat and glanced at the monitors.

              “Ha ha, Dr. Shaw.  I guess you could use the sugar boost.  You guys are busy!”

              “Yes, we are.  And Bella has been a Godsend.  I’m still going to try to convince her to be a midwife instead of working down there in the ED.”

              I smiled at Vicki, shaking my head.  “We’ll have to see on that one, I think.  I’m still too much of an adrenaline junkie to give it up now.

              “Oh, we’ve got adrenaline here, too,” Lanie piped up. “Join me for the next delivery.  She should be pushing within the next few hours.  It’s a miracle every time.”

              The call bells went off in two separate rooms, so Lanie and Deann went to see what each patient needed.  Despite the rushed beginning of the shift, things had calmed somewhat, with the three new moms resting and the other monitored patients fairly comfortable.  It was a good time to take a breath.

              “Bella, the cafeteria closes at 9:30, and reopens from 2AM to 3AM to feed the night shift, even if it is only cold cuts and chips.  If you want to get something before then, you should go now. The other girls said that they don’t need to go. We’ll be fine here for a few minutes,” Vicki said, her eyes flickering briefly to Edward’s and then back to mine. 

              “Uh, okay,” I said.  “You can walk me down, Edward. Sound good?”

              Edward let loose a killer smile on me and stood up.  He held out his hand to me in a very gentlemanly manner to help me up.  “Miss Swan,” he said with a polite bow of his head.

              “Good lord, Edward!  Putting it on a bit thick, aren’t you?” Vicki giggled.

              “You’re just jealous, Vick.  Plus, it just gives you hens something gossip about, right?” he shot back with a wink.  My face was bright red the whole time.

              I turned to Vicki and tried to gather my composure a bit.  “I’ll be right back.”

              “There’s no real rush, Bella.  Things are pretty stable, two moms hours away from delivery.  If I need you in a rush, I will have you paged.”

              I felt a little guilty leaving the unit, but I did want to get a snack for later.  No telling if we would be in the middle of two deliveries when 2AM rolled around. 

              Edward and I got in the elevator, and as soon as the doors shut, he enveloped me in his arms, kissing me sweetly. 

              “What kind of witchcraft do you use on me, Bella?” he asked.  “You left this afternoon, and all I could think about was an excuse to come see you, even if it’s only for a few minutes.”

              I squeezed him tight and parted to a more professional distance as the elevator reached our chosen floor.  “I’m glad that you surprised me.  You occupy more than a few of my thoughts, too.  The cookies were a nice touch.”

              We walked to the cafeteria, hand in hand in a comfortable silence. As we entered, I heard Glenda callout behind us.

              “Edward, don’t be distracting my nurses!”

              Edward stopped and turned to wait for Glenda.  When she caught up to us, he put his free arm around her shoulders and hugged her.  “She’s the one distracting me, Glenda.  Why else would I be here on my night off?”

              Glenda leaned forward a bit to look at me.  “Boy’s got it bad, Bella.”

              Edward squeezed my hand.  “And what if I do?”

              “I’d have to say it’s a good thing.  That’s all.  Oh, you remember Janie?  The runaway?  Johnny and I are going to be fostering her and the baby until we can get her situation sorted out.  I just couldn’t sit back and not do anything.”

              “That’s very generous of you to do that, Glenda.  How is she doing?” I asked.  Over the past few days, Janie and Anneliese were topics of conversation between Edward and me. I was concerned for the young mother.

              “Well, we were already in the system because we fostered two little girls a few years back.  Not many people in the immediate area have gone through the process to become foster parents, and seeing as though she and I had a connection, the state thought it would be a good placement.”

              Glenda continued to chat with us about how Janie was adjusting to motherhood and what the game plan was for her future.  I agreed to stop by sometime in the next few days to see her and offer some support in a big sister capacity, perhaps get her to open up about her parents. 

              Glenda grabbed a sandwich and headed out, her long day over, and I reluctantly turned to Edward.  “I really need to get back.”

              “I know.  The sooner I get you back on the floor, the sooner your shift will be over,” He said with a smile.  We stepped into the elevator once again.  This time, when the doors shut, I stood on my toes and kissed him, nibbling on his delicious bottom lip, causing him to groan.

              “That is so not fair, Bella,” He protested as the carriage brought us to the proper floor. I gave him my best innocent smile and exited, his hands resting on my shoulders as he walked behind me.

              Lanie smiled as Edward and I approached the desk.  “Our mom in Room 3 will probably start pushing within the hour.  Do you want to help me set up?”

              “Sure!” I said enthusiastically.  “I’ll be right there, okay?”

              Lanie nodded and went to the supply room while I turned to Edward.

              “Duty calls, Dr. Cullen,” I said with a sigh.  “I’ll see you in the morning, though, right?”

              “You better believe it!” he said, pulling me in for a hug.  I closed my eyes and breathed his scent as if I needed it to last the whole night, which wasn’t far from the truth.

I knew I was falling more for Edward with every hug, every look, and every kiss.  I smiled as I pulled away.

              “See you soon, handsome,” I said, softly and gave him a kiss, a little lingering, and squeezed his hands. 

              “Have a good night, and call me when you get home,” He said.

              I watched him walk to the elevator and disappear behind the sliding door.  Back to work, Swan.

              Lanie came from the supply room with a few tiny hats for the baby about to be born, along with a few other things we would need.

              “Bella, I think it’s time to show you there’s plenty of adrenaline to be had in OB. Follow me!” she said with such enthusiasm that I found it impossible to hide my smile.

              We entered the room and I was instantly struck by how homey it was.  Aside from the area set aside for the docs to examine and assess the newborn and the hospital bed, it looked like a rather posh hotel room.  Harsh overhead lights had been replaced by task lighting controlled by dimmers on remotes.  There was a large light comparable to what would be found in operating rooms and trauma bays, but it had been folded into the ceiling and concealed by a panel. 

              The patient, Kate, and her husband, Garrett were holding hands and talking quietly.  I almost hated to intrude, because it looked like an intensely private moment.

              “Kate, how are you feeling?  Is the epidural still doing the trick?” Lanie asked as she focused her attention to the fetal monitor, noting no signs of distress.

              “The epidural is heaven!  I do feel like I am having some pressure down there, though?  Is it time to push, do you think?”

              “I think it could be. I’ll check.  Guys, this is Bella.  She’s a nurse who usually works in the Emergency Department, but tonight she is lending a hand up here since we are so busy.” I gave a polite wave and checked the IV pump.

              “Is this your first child?” I asked Kate.  Her smile was enough of an answer.

              “It is,” She said, looking at her husband with such adoration it almost took my breath away. 

              “Well, I’m honored to be a part of its birth.  It shouldn’t be long until you meet this little one!” I said.

              Lanie prepped everything for delivery, showing me how to break down the bed and ready the infant warmer.  We placed all of the items that Vicki might need on a table that could be rolled to the bedside. The lights were kept fairly dim to promote a peaceful atmosphere.  Lastly, Lanie checked Kate and found that she was in a good position to begin pushing.  I stood by, listening to what the experienced nurse had to say to the first time mom.

              “Okay, Kate, this is the hardest and most rewarding part, because at the end, you’ll be holding your baby.  Are you ready?” Lanie asked with a big smile.

              “I think so,” Kate said a little less confidently.

              “You’ll be fine.  Now Garrett, Kate is going to be pulling her legs back, and I’m going to need you and Bella to hold them for her,” Lanie said as she settled down at the foot of the bed where she would be able to see. I stood by Kate’s right leg as Garrett took his spot at her left.

              “Great! Okay, now Kate, I don’t want you to get discouraged if you end up pushing for a while.  First babies can take a bit longer.  This isn’t like TV. This is real work, all right?”

              “I’m ready,” Kate replied, looking to Garrett, who kissed her forehead in encouragement.

With the next contraction, Kate began to push.  Her epidural was working too well, however, so we had to turn it down a bit so that she could feel when she was pushing effectively enough to get the baby out.               

              “…seven, eight, nine, and ten! Good job, Kate!  You’re getting there!  I can see a head with some blonde hair…do you want to see, Garrett?”

              “I’d love to!” Garrett replied and moved down to the foot of the bed.  He looked awed as he gazed upon the tiny bit of his child’s head.

              “Oh, Katie! You should see it!  This is amazing! Honey, you can do this, you are doing great!  We’ll be holding our baby so soon!”

              I was enjoying my role as cheerleader and leg holder as I watched the situation unfold in front of me.  Kate had been pushing for about 45 minutes.  Once the epidural wore off a bit and she was able to get the hang of pushing, the baby was well on its way to meeting its parents.

              “Bella, could you hit the call bell and ask to have Dr. Shaw come on in?  I think it’s time we see if we need a pink or a blue hat!” Lanie said as she patted Kate’s leg.

              I pressed the button and let Deann know that we were ready for Dr. Shaw.  As I continued my supportive role for both Kate and Garrett, I noted in the back of my mind a bit of a shift. The work I was doing was a different kind of rush.  The anticipation and overwhelming sense of joy filling the room was incredible.  Vicki came in, and things seemed to go quickly. She and Lanie were a well-oiled machine.  Deann poked her head in and said that Dr. Stapleton would be right up to check the baby over.  I felt the adrenaline start to kick in, much like it did when I was working a trauma.  The life or death feeling in my gut was replaced by just life and happiness.  People were smiling and actually cracking jokes between contractions.  I wasn’t naive enough to think that this was how every birth took place, but the absence of the sense of foreboding was nice for a change.
              Kate’s face was red and splotchy from pushing like a champ, and you could tell she was tiring quite a bit.  She pushed through a particularly difficult contraction and then fell back in the bed, panting and whimpering.

              “G, I am so tired! I don’t know if I can do this! Dr. Shaw! Please! Do something!”

              Vicki then took Kate’s hand and gave one of the best pep talks I had ever heard.   “Kate, honey, you are doing this. Here, feel this,” she said as she took Kate’s hand and placed it on her baby’s head.  “That’s your baby, and it’s about two pushes away from being up there in your arms.  You can do this! Now with this next contraction, I want you to pull your legs way back and push as hard as you can.  It might burn, but push through it and I promise you, very soon, you will be hearing one of the sweetest sounds ever.  The baby is doing really well, and so are you.  You can do this!”

              Kate let her fingers rest on her baby’s head, and as the next contraction hit, she did just like Vicki told her.  She pushed through the pain, letting out a large growl as she reached down and felt her baby’s head emerge.

              “G, it’s right there, babe!  I can feel it! Look!” Kate exclaimed after we counted to ten.

              “Can I watch, Katie? Is that okay? Or do you want me up here with you? I’ll do whatever you want, hon,” Garrett said, looking at his wife, torn as to what he wanted to do. 

              “Garrett, if you’d like, sit right here and you can help me catch,” Vicki said with a smile.  Garrett looked to Kate, who just nodded silently, eyes wide.  He then took his place at the foot of the bed.

              The next contraction hit, and Kate was able to get the head out.  Garrett sat next to Vicki, watching as she suctioned the baby’s mouth and nose.  With the next push, Vicki helped Garrett as they delivered his son. 

              “It’s a boy, Katie! We have a son! Oh my God!” Garrett cried as he held the baby for her to see.  The little man was surprisingly quiet and incredibly cute, even all covered in newborn goo.

              Vicki clamped the cord and offered to let Garrett cut it.  After Lanie fitted a hat on the baby’s head, he was wrapped and given quickly back to his father, who then placed him in his eager mother’s arms. .

              “Hello, little guy,” Kate cooed to the baby that was, just a few minutes ago, inside her. 

              I drifted toward the foot of the bed to assist Vicki while Lanie encouraged Kate to nurse her son.  Everything, from the moment I came in the room with Lanie, went smoothly and without a hitch.  It was exhilarating and awe inspiring, this business of having a baby.  I felt as if I hardly did anything, but was still very grateful for the opportunity.   

              Glancing at the clock, I noticed that I did, indeed, miss the small window of opportunity afforded to the night staff by the cafeteria.  As my stomach growled, I became thankful that Vicki insisted upon me leaving the floor earlier in the evening. 

              The rest of the shift seemed to go by quickly.  I assisted Lanie as she taught me about post-partum care, and of course, the loads of paperwork and charting involved in bringing a new life into the world.  It was staggering!

              The other patients were pretty quiet during the delivery of Kate and Garrett’s yet-unnamed baby boy.  The two left laboring were progressing slowly, thank goodness, so we were able to catch up on everything and fit in a bite to eat. 

              Back at the nurse’s station, I noticed that the time was almost 5AM.  Everything was calm.  Four mother baby pairs, two laboring, both at about five centimeters, and the mom with pre-term labor was resting comfortably with no significant contractions in over six hours.  Vicki, Deann, Lanie and I let out one huge collective sigh. 

              “Girls,” Vicki said as she looked up from her charting, “you all did well tonight.  And you are welcome any time in my delivery room, Bella!”

              I smiled at the compliment.  I knew that I was a good nurse, but having praise come after working my first shift in a new discipline made my heart swell. 

              “I agree, Bella.  You are a natural up here.  I hope you’ll consider coming back when you can.  We can always use someone who can just step in and get to work without the hand holding,” Deann said with a smile as she gathered up her charts and went to look at the three monitors still watching over our laboring patients.

              “I’d like that.  I love learning new things, and this has been such a wonderful change of pace.  You were absolutely right about the adrenaline rush.  The positive environment is so foreign to me after all of the years of putting people back together,” I said with a smile.

              The rest of the shift flew by, and at 6:30, I felt my phone buzz in my pocket.

              Morning! Have a good shift? -e

              I felt my face break into a smile as I shot back an answer.

              Yes!I really love it up here. It feels like a second home! Do you ever sleep?-b

              Just getting ready for a run and thought I’d say hi. Any cookies left? -e

              I laughed out loud, as we just had divvied up the last of the treats that Edward had left for us. 

              Nothing but crumbs, baby. Keep feeding me like that & I’ll have to run 24/7 to keep my girlish figure. -b

              I put my phone down and looked over my charting once more.  Vicki was sitting across the table with her head lying on her arms.

              “You know, I have known Edward for about a year now and have never seen him as happy as he was last night, with you.”

              I was a little stunned by Vicki’s statement, but I couldn’t help my smile.  “I feel the same way.  He is a lot of fun to be around.” 

              “Well, whatever you guys are doing, it works.  Have fun!” she said with a wink, her head still down. She sighed and stood up slowly.  “It’s nights like this when I really wish I had a midwife to work with.  Perhaps if we steal you away enough, you’ll change loyalties, Bella.”

              I gave Vicki a grin. “You flatter me!  I won’t rule it out, okay?”

              “Good enough for now! I’m going to go check on everyone while you girls finish up and get ready for report,” Vicki said over her shoulder as she walked out into the hall.  “If I don’t see you before change of shift, thanks again for all of your help tonight.  I’ll see you around!”

              Deann, Lanie, and I sat at the table going over the charting and paperwork for the newborns.  It really was a lot of documentation to get straight.  My phone buzzed again with a text, presumably from Edward.  My co-workers giggled as I slyly tried to see what it said.

              “Oh, look at the text already!” Deann said.  “You guys are too cute together!”

              “Yes!  What’s Dr. Cullen got to say this early in the morning?” Lanie piped in.

              “Oh, he was just asking if we finished off the cookies. He’s getting ready to go for a run, and then I’m heading to his parents’ place for brunch with the whole clan. No pressure, huh?” I laughed, nervously.

              I looked at my phone and read Edward’s latest message.

              I happen to like your girlish figure. You want me to wait and we can run together? -e

              I tapped out a reply as Lanie and Deann smirked good naturedly beside me.

              You go ahead. I don’t want to be too tired at brunch. Don’t want to crush your ego by falling asleep on our date! -b 

“You know, Vicki’s right. It’s great to see Edward so smiley. My fiancée is an electrician who works on projects with his brother, Emmett.  The whole family is just super nice,” Lanie said. 

“I know! I have gotten to meet everyone except Esme.  Forks has been very welcoming to me, as well.  I’m glad to have landed here for the next six months!”
Another text from Edward came through.

I can think of a few ways to keep you awake, Swan.  I’ll see you at 9:30. -e

I felt my cheeks redden as I read his message.  Keep me awake, indeed!

“It must be a good message if she’s blushing like that!” Deann laughed.  I was so busted.

You make me blush, Cullen. See you soon. -b

Our relief came off of the elevator.  It wasn’t long before Deann, Lanie and I had given report on the patients and headed out to our cars.  After a quick trip home, I unlocked my door only to hear my name being called from down the street.  Up jogged Edward, in some running shorts and a drenched t-shirt that was clinging deliciously to his sculpted physique.  He looked so good it should be illegal.

“Hi, beautiful,” he said as he walked toward me, his hands on his hips, breathing heavily. Cue the tingling of the girly bits. 

“Hi, yourself.  Have a good run?”

“Yup.  I thought I’d say hi to you before I head home to shower.”

I looked him up and down and laughed.  “Yes, you are in need.  You are a little ripe,” I joked.

“Oh, I am, am I?” he asked, taking a step toward me, a playful look in his gorgeous green eyes.  He held out his arms to me.  “How about a hug?”

I took a step back as he countered with another step forward.  I was soon stopped by the side of the house, cornered by a hot, stinky, lustful man. 

“Um, no!” I squealed as he pressed his damp body against mine. He wrapped his strong arms around me. I struggled for a few seconds, but to be honest, feeling his firm muscles felt too damn good, regardless of how gross and sweaty he was.

Edward ducked his head down and kissed me until I was breathless.  I could truly kiss him forever and never get enough.  His lips were so soft, yet forceful in their ministrations. And his tongue! Oh dear Lord, the way it stroked against mine, exploring my mouth was heavenly.  The sometimes gentle, sometimes not so gentle nibbles from his teeth on my lips, my neck, as well as other places, proved to me that the man was a master of all things oral. I sighed and opened my eyes as he pulled away from my slightly swollen lips.

“I’ve been waiting all night to do that,” He whispered as he rested his forehead against mine.

“No complaints here,” I managed to whisper back.

“Hate to get you all riled up and run, but I have to get showered.  Unless I can interest you in conserving water by showering together?” he said, wiggling his eyebrows.  

“Go, you stinky boy!  I’ll see you at 9:30!” I said, pushing him away with great reluctance. He leaned in for one more lingering kiss and then turned and hopped off the porch. 

“Bye, Bella,” he said with a grin, and then jogged off in the direction of his house. 

Climbing the stairs, I giggled over the fact that my shirt was damp in places where Edward’s body was pressed next to mine. My fingers found their way to my lips, still tingling from his kisses. I looked at myself in the mirror, skin flushed still, and I shook my head.

“You’ve got it bad, Bella,” I said, aloud as I turned the water on in my shower.  And for having it bad, I don’t think I could recall ever feeling so good.







0 comments: